Thursday, June 23, 2011

Jesca Hoop: The Best Folk Singer You've Never Heard Of





So, I remember that one day as I was driving through Bloomington, I was surfing radio stations — because it's apparently my newest hobby. But seriously, finding a new radio station that I like is like finding $20 in my pocket.
But, as I was surfing, I stopped on a song that was a slow but melodic guitar and exuded folk from head to toe. The girl's voice was enchanting, something I hadn't heard in quite a while. Not to mention the lyrics. Here was the small snippet I remembered the whole way home.

"And the shape of home baked bread
And the girl in a turned down bed
And a wick of twisted thread
From the loving words you said."

I found out the song was called "Murder of Birds" and that the singer was a Jesca Hoop, an absolutely gorgeous American singer-songwriter and guitarist from Northern California.

Here's the link to the actual video if you'd like to listen. I must warn you though, he videos are beyond odd in most cases, and this is no exception. If I were you, I'd just listen and try not to get creeped out by the bearded man singing with her (Guy Garvey).



Anyways, after finding Jesca Hoop, I downloaded her album "Hunting My Dress" and had quite a mixed reaction. Her voice was something that took getting used to because of how original it was. But, after a listen or two, it became something really magical.

But, Jecsa just released a new album called "Snowglobe" on April 4.



And after listening to a few of the released tracks, I believe her song "City Bird" from that album deserves my attention. It's video just came out, and is not as frightfully odd as "Murder of Birds," but the melancholy guitar and ethereal voices give the song more than enough chill. Here's the link:



I must say that I do wish she'd pick up the pace at some point, her breakdowns don't make the song anything truly special, but after listening to her other work, I can assure myself that the album has it's pounding tracks to make ones like this all the more golden.




"City Bird" Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment